It is extremely important to keep our material in optimal conditions. Regardless of the board brand or type (gas or electric) we must carefully read the manufacturer’s user’s manual to make sure we follow the instructions for an appropriate use and maintenance. The main aspects to consider regarding this are related to the board and batteries themselves, besides this, the accessories which may need to be periodically replaced due to wear and tear.
Our tips to properly maintain your electric or gas jetboard
- Clean the jet. It is recommended to rinse the jet with fresh water after every use. When using in extreme saline environments, it ́s recommendable to flash the entire intake area with fresh water. This way we will get rid of all the excessive salt residue in the shaft and impeller. We should also clean the stainless-steel jet cover tube frequently, since a small layer of salt could build up over the surface with every use. Given that the tube ́s surface is responsible of heat dissipation, it ́s extremely important to keep it clean for proper functioning.
- Apply blue grease on mechanical parts. It is recommended to periodically apply blue grease on the impeller and stator/nozzle and between uses, as well as applying lubrication to the battery locking pins regularly to avoid locking deterioration.
- Apply silicon grease on power contacts. It is also highly recommended using silicone grease on all power contacts (board male connectors, battery connectors…) to protect them from corrosion in humid environments. A small layer of silicone grease should always remain on all connectors, improving connectivity and avoiding corrosion.
- Beware of impacts. Of course, we must also avoid any kind of impact on the turbine surface or the rest of the board; as well as activating the jetboard outside the water, as this could damage the JetPack. Activating the board outside of the water is only permitted to verify the synchronization with the controller.
- Floating elements on water. It also is important to check that the water is free of floating elements, as the jet sucks water through the intake and any floating object could cause damage to the rotating components inside the waterjet.
- Always follow the battery maintenance guidelines. Regarding the batteries, it is extremely important to take good care of them and use them correctly as indicated in the safety guidelines provided with the equipment. For the Onean batteries, we must respect the charging time (no more than 2,5 hours in any case) and always keep them under surveillance while being charged. We will also make sure the batteries are not exposed to extreme temperatures (over 50°C or 120°F) and that they are stored between 0ºC and 40ºC (32°F and 104°F) in a ventilated area, with a humidity between 0%-80% and not over 20% of capacity. For long term storage (over 3 months), its recommended to charge the battery every 1-2 months only for a few seconds, until the lights turn on and we see that the charge begins, and then cease the charge.
- Do the service to petrol boards. If you have a gasoline-powered surfboard, you should check the petrol level before every use and make sure the engine is in good condition. As we commented on our previous post about “Electric vs. Gas” boards, some of the key points for a good maintenance for this type of equipment includes washing the engine compartment with fresh water-except the carburetor-; draining all the water poured on the previous step and starting the engine; and spraying the crankshaft, starter motor, screws and bearings. For petrol boards, there are many more guidelines of maintenance that should be followed for optimal performance.
- Acquire some spare parts. It is extremely useful to purchase additional parts and the required tools for your specific equipment, in case that any component needs to be replaced. For example, the fins, stator/nozzle, impeller and connectors are some common Onean accessories recommended as additional parts. Additionally, please make sure that you have the required tooling kit in order to proceed with the replacements.
- Take good care of the accessories. Although the board and battery are the most important parts of the equipment, it is also crucial to keep your accessories in good condition. For instance, do not leave the Onean wireless controller exposed to direct sunlight as it incorporates a lithium battery inside and it is advisable not to overheat; always keep the charger’s connectors lubricated, etc. Make sure that you carefully read and follow your manufacturer’s user manual and check the specific information for your accessories.
- Keep your board in good condition. Regardless of the construction, material, shape, etc.; we need to make sure that it is free of cracks, as these could let water in the and cause serious problems directly affecting the performance. If the board is damaged or presents any crack, you should immediately contact the corresponding manufacturer´s support team or take it to a repair center.
The best way to keep our material in good condition is to follow your equipment´s specific recommendations. If you have any questions or would like some additional information, do not hesitate to contact and/or check your jetboard manufacturer ́s guidelines to ensure an optimal maintenance of your equipment.